If a traffic citation has been received:
A complete list of options for satisfying the requirements of the traffic offense is on the back of the citation. Drivers are required to choose one of the three options within 30 days of receiving the citation.
Within 30 days of the date of receipt of the traffic citation and prior to attending class, the driver must:
1. Inform the clerk of the court in the county in which the citation was received that they elect to attend traffic school.
2. Pay the traffic school election fee to the clerk of the court in the county in which the citation was received.
If a citation was received for a moving violation and an election is made to attend and complete a basic driver improvement (BDI) course:
1. Insurance rates cannot go up, nor can a policy be cancelled because of this violation unless it involved an accident where the driver was at fault.
2. Points may not be added to a driver license record. Adjudication of guilt is withheld and safe driver status is maintained (if applicable).
1. Drivers with a Class A, B or C license may not make an election under this subsection.
2. They may not elect to attend 4-hour traffic school if they have done so in the last 12 months.
3. They may make no more than five elections in a 10 year period.